If you are a website owner or administrator and are looking for a hosting plan for your site, then we are sure that by now, you would be overwhelmed by the number of options available to you. From Shared Hosting to Cloud Hosting, Dedicated Servers to Virtual Private Servers, etc. the options are numerous making it really difficult to choose one that is best for your site. Hence, it is important to understand these options well before making your decision. Today, we are going to offer you a comprehensive guide to VPS Hosting services.
What is VPS Hosting?
A VPS or Virtual Private Server Hosting, as the name suggests, is a web hosting plan which hosts your website on a virtual private server. A physical web server is divided into several virtual servers and resources (CPU, RAM, etc.) are allocated to each, isolating them from other virtual servers. Therefore, you get access to the root allowing you to incorporate changes as required. Every virtual server has its own OS and storage system along with dedicated CPU and RAM.
Types of VPS Hosting
Broadly speaking, VPS Hosting services can be classified as follows:
By the Operating System
- Windows VPS Hosting
- Linux VPS Hosting
- Managed VPS Hosting
- Unmanaged VPS Hosting
Therefore, you can have a Windows VPS hosting with a managed or unmanaged option, as well as, a Linux VPS Hosting plan with both the management-type options.
Features and Benefits of VPS Hosting
In recent years, VPS Hosting has evolved into a preferred hosting type for many medium-sized websites. Here are some features and benefits of VPS Hosting Plans:
- Root Access – VPS Hosting plans offer you complete root access will give you total control of your VPS account. You can configure and install software through the interface provided by the host.
- Multiple Linux Distros – Linux distributions or Linux Distros operating systems made from a collection of software based on the Linux kernel. Many good Linux VPS Hosting providers offer multiple Linux Distros like CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, and Debian.
- Scalability of Resources – With VPS Hosting plans, you can add resources to your hosting plan with just a few clicks.
- SSD Storage – Most VPS Hosting plans include SSD storage which enhances your VPS server’s efficiency and boosts your site’s performance.
When should you switch to a VPS Hosting plan?
You must consider migrating to a VPS Hosting plan if:
- Your website is receiving good traffic and your current shared hosting plan is unable to offer a reliable and uninterrupted service.
- You no longer want to be in a Shared Hosting environment but do not want to spend on a Dedicated Server. A VPS Hosting plan blends the features of Shared Hosting with a Dedicated Server Hosting.
- You want complete control of your site’s hosting environment.
- You think that an isolated server environment will offer your site better security
Typically, site owners opt for VPS Hosting plans when they are expecting high traffic in the coming period. With dedicated resources and complete root access, it certainly is worth the additional cost. However, ensure that you assess your site’s hosting needs well and look for a provider who offers features in sync with them. Research well and choose meticulously.